Ricochet Fuel provides diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) in a variety of quantities for fleets of all sizes. What is DEF and how can you make sure you’re utilizing this convenient Dallas-Fort Worth service?
Find need-to-know diesel exhaust tips in today’s blog post from the experts at Ricochet Fuel.
Understanding DEF starts with understanding Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR).
SCR is currently the most effective option on the market for dissolving dirty gases and particles that are released via your truck’s diesel exhaust. Though the technology has been around for decades, in 2010, SCR systems became a national requirement for all new diesel models.
For SCR to work, a single liquid-reductant agent is necessary: Diesel exhaust fluid. DEF, a combination of synthetic, vehicle-grade urea and de-ionized water, is injected into your truck’s exhaust stream. Here, it breaks down harmful emissions into non-hazardous nitrogen and water, reducing emissions by up to 90%.
How DEF impacts your fleet
If you are new to SCR and DEF vehicles, you probably have questions: How often will I have to refill the DEF? Where can I find DEF near me? What is the price of DEF?
Here are three quick-and-easy answers to your top three DEF questions:
1. 2.5 gallons of DEF will last approximately 800 miles on the road. All new vehicles are equipped with gauges and/or lights to alert you when DEF is low. If DEF is not replaced, an emergency light will be triggered, and engine speed will be reduced to as little as five miles per hour.
2. Finding the liquid in the DFW area is simple: DEF is available at the pump at Ricochet Fuel’s Euless location, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. In addition, Ricochet Fuel offers 2.5-gallon jugs, 55-gallon drums, and 330 gallon totes, and for even larger jobs, loaned bulk tanks with electric dispensers.
DEF is nontoxic. That means that once you have the liquid on hand, you, or any of your fleet’s drivers, can readily replace DEF, as needed. No time to stop? Ricochet Fuel offers wet hosing services to keep your team moving when it counts.
3. Price varies on the quality and quantity of DEF you need to cover your fleet. Ricochet Fuel today to learn more about pricing options.
Diesel exhaust fluid tips
- If you are storing containers of DEF, for maximum shelf life, keep temperatures between 40 and 80 degrees. With proper storage, DEF can last for up to two years.
- Don’t worry about extreme heat or cold. DEF will not freeze in your vehicle and won’t dissolve in heat unless exposed to extreme heat for years in a row.
- Find a source you trust. Just like any type of fuel, DEF has clear industry requirements. As the number of vehicles requiring DEF continues to grow, unlicensed sellers will continue to try to skirt regulations. Don’t be hoaxed by market-cutting low prices. Instead, buy DEF that’s safe and effective.
Your source for DEF
For all your DEF needs in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Ricochet Fuel offers pumps, nozzles, meters and more, as well as convenient pick-up and delivery options.
With 30 years of providing fuel solutions for companies nationwide, Ricochet Fuel is your top-rated fuel distribution company for DEF. For more information, contact Ricochet Fuel today.